Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Fourth Ride on Rose...

Today was my fourth ride on Rose. When I arrived the barn owner was riding and since the arena is small I decided not to ride right away. I groomed Rose really good while she had the first part of her dinner. I then put her in the round pen so that I could get her stall cleaned while she hung out. Of course, she rolled while in the round pen so I had to groom her again and then we got started on our ride.

She was pretty good, testing me more like the first day, but more forward when she wasn't. She's doing *really* well with leg yielding though. I really wish I could carry a dressage whip to back up my leg but that's not ok yet. We'll keep working though and maybe I'll be able to start using one in a little while.

One good thing is that she's really cut back on snapping her teeth when I tighten the girth. She hardly did it at all for the initial girthing up, and then the two girth tightenings after that she didn't gnash her teeth at all!

I'm not going to ride tomorrow, or even make it out to the barn, since I have to pack up our hotel room so that we can move to a new hotel room for a couple of nights. We'll board the animals for those days since we have to stay in a non-pet room. I *really* can't wait to move into our new house. Really, really, really.

2 comments:

Melanie said...

Isn't it fun to be back in the saddle again?? She sounds like a fun horse, but isn't it a bit frustrating that you cannot work her at the canter?

Good luck with your hotel move. Can't wait to see pics of the new place (and that temporary horse!).

Dressage Nomad said...

Nah, I like trotting, lol! I don't think she's fit enough to do much cantering yet. We're working our way up to it. I want to be sure that her unwillingness to go forward is a result of not having done it in a while rather than lack of conditioning. I'm perfect for dressage in that I'd be content trotting figure eights, serpentines, and doing some leg yielding all day long! It is *very* nice to be back in the saddle again though. I think I've kicked the funk I've been in pretty much since going to Korea, but especially since December.

I also want to be sure that when I ask her for the canter she's ready to give it (and I'm ready to *really* ask for it...I'm just as out of shape as she is at this point!)