Saturday, April 18, 2009

I Rode Today!

First of all, hello from Florida! Craig and I have been here for 2 or so weeks, we found a house that we love a thousand times more than the house we were going to buy and it's already gone through the appraisal and inspection and passed with flying colors. We are staying on base in lodging with Kitty, Elphie, and Jilly.

I posted an ad on Craig's List, asking if anyone in the area had more horses than they could ride, on a whim, and actually got a good response back. One horse is just 15 minutes from the new house and 20 minutes from the base and sounded perfect. She even looked perfect, since she's a dark bay! She's stunning in person and an absolute doll. She's mainly been walking/jogging the last 7 years, so we're working on improving the working trot for now. She's for sale, so I don't know how long I'll be able to ride her, for the owner's sake I hope not very long!

I had a great day at the barn, I got to groom, ride, and clean stalls. I'm quietly scoping out boarding barns, since Sophie still won't be coming to Florida until December. I like the barn this mare is boarded at, but the arena is a little small for dressage, and the footing too deep for a dressage horse, though it's good for barrel horses!

3 comments:

allhorsestuff said...

Oh fantastic..You rode!She sounds lovely too.
So how deep is too deep there?
Kac

Melanie said...

Yaaaaay!!!! I have been wondering what is up with you lately! :)
Glad that you move went well, and have fun riding that new horse...even if it is just temporary.

Dressage Nomad said...

Thanks guys! The arena footing is about 6 inches deep, and it's a really fine, powdery black sand. Everything I've read says that dressage horses need shallower footing due to the work they do.