Saturday, December 12, 2009

Bowen Session 1!

Sophie had her first Bowen session last night. I think it went really well...her right stifle was *very* stiff and tight and her neck/shoulder on that side was even worse. Debbie worked all over her, it was really interesting to watch and hard to describe, but it was very small movements in specific places. She would do one "adjustment" and then step back and wait for Sophie to show some sign of release.

She said that Sophie was very guarded and polite in her reactions and that we'll probably see bigger reactions as she has more sessions. For Sophie the main sign of endorphin releases she showed would be lowering her head or licking and chewing. Nothing major and sometimes those moments would come a full minute or so after the work was done. Sophie will have another session in 7-10 days and another in the same time frame after that. Then we'll reevaluate and see where she is.

Craig and I went to see Sophie today and she was much perkier than normal. Super friendly and bright eyed, it was a little like seeing the change in Jessie after his hock injections. I would have loved to watch her move but it was raining so I just groomed her and gave her treats, maybe tomorrow I'll get to watch her move some.

Jilly, our Papillon, had a treatment as well. She has some hock problems going on, even though she's only a year old. She wasn't too crazy about her treatments in the beginning, but they grew on her. Debbie just did a bit on her, saying that it's better not to overload the system by doing everything at once, since Bowen relies on helping the body to recognize where things should "be" and that the biggest part of Bowen comes in the days *after* the treatments, because that's when things settle into place and the real results start coming through.

Debbie also did a little work on my back as well, since it's been bothering me quite a bit due to the pregnancy. She did this weird thing with my shoulders and they felt a lot looser afterwards. She didn't charge me for that because she called what she did for me "less than half a Bowen" and told me not to judge my results on that. My back did feel a bit better this morning, but the big thing I noticed was my groing/way lower abdomen pain was gone when I woke up, and hasn't gotten nearly as bad today as it normally is by even noon...and it's the end of the day!

So, I'm very pleased with how things went, Sophie's eye is a lot softer today and Craig was really amazed at how much friendlier she was with him. Hopefully I can watch her move tomorrow, but I am shooting a dressage show, so we'll see!

4 comments:

EcoLicious Equestrian said...

thanks for letting us know about the results...I will set up an appt. for my gelding (he gets quite tight in his jaw/neck) and myself too since just as you I suffer from groin/lower abdomen pains and would love to get ride of them...

Flying Lily said...

That's great that 3 species saw the benefit! I can't wait to hear about how she moves.

Fantastyk Voyager said...

Just one session and you are already seeing improvement. That sounds very promising!!

Melanie said...

You have your pony!!!! And she is looking quite lovely...