Friday, August 22, 2008

Florida, Here We Come?

Craig and I need to fill our our ADP, basically our wishlist of bases we want to go to next, in order. We were doing some research on what to do for our back up bases, since we already knew we wanted to go to Virginia (Langley AFB). I even found a stable I wanted to train out of (though she didn't anticipate having any openings, lol). Then Craig brought up Patrick AFB. It's in Florida, 2 hours from Wellington, 2 hours from Orlando, and 2 hours from Ocala. Hmmm. Looks like there are a lot of dressage barns in the area of the base. Hmmm. There is a college fund program for Florida residents to lock in a price at any state Florida college or community college where you pay by the month pretty much from your child's birth until it's time for him/her to enter college. Hmmm. So we started leaning toward Florida.

Craig contacted the person that decides our assignments. She said that Langley is overbooked...pretty much no way of getting there. She'd have to check on the other choices he mentioned, but, Patrick...well...Patrick she had openings at right now, we can get orders (aka our assignment locked in) within a week or two. Hmmm....

So, chances are very strong that we may be headed to Florida after we're done in Ohio next spring. Still not sure how I feel about it, since I've never considered living in Florida before now.

I went to the barn to see Sophie today, she had rubbed her tail a bit since my last visit, not surprisingly, her udder was very dirty. I stopped at the feed store on the way home and bought some liniment as well. I was thinking that since her neck seems to get so sore after just a couple of rides that it'd help if I put something like Ben Gay on it, to help her muscles recover more quickly.

There's an open show in a couple of weekends that I was considering going to, just for the exposure. And then of course a dressage show October 6th that I'd really like to enter. I plan on riding tomorrow, hopefully my ankle will hold up to it. It has been extremely hot here the last couple of days. We'll see if tomorrow is any better!

2 comments:

Grey Horse Matters said...

i guess it's hard to never really know where you will wind up. I know Ocala and have been there many times. It's real horse country, so if you do wind up in Florida that wouldn't be a bad spot.And it would be a lot less expensive than Wellington. Good Luck.

Melanie said...

I was going to say what Grey Horse did...Florida can be excellent horse country!

Moving isn't a lot of fun though. Have you guys had to move a lot?

Hope that your ankle is feeling better :)