Friday, August 22, 2008

The Gymnasium of the Horse...

I mentioned that I read this book on the way to/from Portland. I've also been taking notes and thought I'd share some here in my blog. Quotes/notes from the book will be in white. My comments will be in purple!

The Gymnasium of the Horse
by: Gustav Steinbrecht

(pg 2)
"Whoever understands that beauty and lightness of seat do not depend only on the posture of the rider, but just as much on the correct carriage and the regular gaits of the horse, will find it quite natural that I recommend directing the student, as soon as he has become somewhat secure, to work on his horse's carriage, although this might once in a while occur at the expense of his normal position."

"There can be nothing worse than to put a beginning rider on a worn-out or poorly trained horse"
(I thought that this was a very important quote, as I have seen many riders struggling with unsuitable horses. Yes, the regular type of horse that destroys a rider's confidence. But even horses that are dead sided and hard mouthed wreak havoc on a rider's learning. So much that they don't realize the horse is dead sided/hard mouthed. Take Jessie for example, we could canter from a walk, side pass, turn on the forehand, etc. But he was dead sided. He could give at the poll with the best of them, but he was hard mouthed. Amazing. I never would have believed it if you told me until I really started riding him and we got to the point where he wasn't dead sided or hard mouthed)

(pg 9)
There are 3 types of aids-driving aids, restraining aids, and supporting aids.

Driving aids-those given with the lower leg are of greatest importance because they are the most effective and most natural

Aids from the lower leg-are given with the spurs, calves, and knees
(My biggest struggle here is remember the knees. I tend to grip with them and have made an effort to relax, especially since starting this book. When I started dressage lessons I had the bad habit of cueing with the *back* of my calf, instead of the inside. I've gotten better, but I'm still not there yet)

Aids given with the spurs-aid the activity of the hindquarters which gives a stimulating, electrifying effect
  • Jab-given as punishment
  • Prick-"serves as a reminder"
  • Flat Touch-uses the side of the spur
  • Spur Pressure-a "prick" used with a restraining hand
(I'm reading all of the spur information especially closely, because while I've ridden in them, they were just kind of thrown on, and I'd like to know as much as I can about their use before putting them on again.)

The lighter the touch of the spur the more support needed from the stirrup

(I found this statement very interesting, because as I strive to educate myself further in dressage I mainly get the impression that stirrups=evil; if we want to be true horsemen we would never ride with stirrups. Steinbrecht does say that it's good to do stirrupless work, but also emphasizes the importance of stirrups and the role they play in supporting the rider.)

Calf Aids-steady barriers within which the hindquarters must work; this contact will establish itself naturally

5 comments:

Grey Horse Matters said...

It sounds like an interesting book that probably has a lot of good tips. What I do with any book, is take away from it what I need or what makes sense to me, I've never subscribed to the notion that every rider/writer has all the answers to everything. It's just guidance and their opinions. So it's good to read all the different opinions and put them to use with your trainer and your horse if it makes sense to you.

Heidi said...

I really like the description of the four ways to use a spur. The first time my old trainer had me use spurs on Buddy, she didn't really get into details of how to use them. That small explanation would have been so useful! I use these cool roller spurs on Jack now. They have a rubber ball that rolls back and forth, not up and down like a rowel spur. They're really soft, plus my trainer was very specific on telling me how and when to use them, so we've had great success on getting Jack to go off a very light leg. I don't really even use the spurs anymore, but just have them on as a reminder.

Sounds like a good book. I'll look forward to reading more of your notes!

Melanie said...

Looks like you have picked out another great book! I really enjoyed reading what you posted about spurs. They can be a very useful training aid...when used correctly.

Can't wait to see what your next lesson is :)

...how is that thesis of your coming along?

20 meter circle of life said...

i am going to ad this book to my collection. It sounds very intersting

Flying Lily said...

Sounds like a great book to have around. Spurs? I am not worthy yet.