Sunday, August 3, 2008

Reasons Why My Non-Horsey Husband Rocks in Horsey Ways...

After my ride yesterday I thought it'd be good to dedicate an entry to the title topic.

...Yesterday I realized that even though I was close to having everything I needed to ride, I'd forgotten stirrups/leathers!!!! Aaaaaack. So I was able to use stirrups/leathers from my sister's saddle and it took me 10 minutes of trying to get the right stirrup on (one good reason to never get another Custom Saddlery saddle, I like it, but the stirrups slid on my Albion like butter). But, my husband got it on, yay!

...He'll hold a horse until the cows come home for me, for example, yesterday he held Jessie while I tacked him up, which took about 30 minutes due to getting stuff from the car and going inside to put on my breeches and get some stirrups.

Craig and Jessie having a conversation about the concept of standing still

...After my ride yesterday and seeing how hard it was to ride on the hilly terrain he suggested we take the truck/trailer to my parents one weekend before the weather gets bad so that we can trailer him to a place with an arena to get better pictures.

...He'll come take pictures of me ride whenever I ask him to.

...He considers the horses to be "must pays".

...He puts up with me when I can't ride or don't have a saddle or don't have a horse.

...He'll stop by the barn on his way home from work to fly spray my horse so that she isn't eaten alive when I'm not allowed to go to the barn.

...He stops by Equus Now on his way home from karate whenever I ask.

...He reads my camera manual to be able to take better pictures of me riding.

...He'll watch Walter Zettl videos with me if I ask him to.

...He's seen Sylvester, National Velvet, International Velvet, Moondance Alexander, She-Ra, My Little Ponies, The Black Stallion, The Black Stallion Returns, and he bought me Danny. And rented Riders through Netflix for me.

...He hasn't told me to stop buying from Tack of the Day.

...He looks at all of the horse pictures I take.

...He knows that Zorro is riding a Friesian in the movies, even though he should be riding and Andalusian.

...He's gone to Equine Affaire, All American Quarter Horse Congress, and Breyerfest with me. Not really horse related, but, he also goes to model horse shows with me.

...Within a week of getting back from Iraq (he was gone for 8 months) he took my sister and I to see the Spanish Riding School on their U.S. Tour...even before going home to see his parents...and that was before we were even engaged, let alone married!

That's what comes to mind right away, I know there are more, but I think that's a good start. I'd love to hear how everyone else's significant others help out or at least tolerate horses!

2 comments:

Grey Horse Matters said...

Sounds like a keeper. Seriously you're lucky he is so understanding and seems like a great guy.

Melanie said...

Great pictures, and I assume that they were taken by that wonderful husband of yours???

My hubby is great when it comes to helping with horsey stuff too...he really has no choice...lol!!! No, really, he is very accomodating.

Thanks for the bio on Jessie. How cool that you still have your boy. Mine died 6 1/2 years ago, at the age of 16.

Looks like you had a great weekend :)