Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Half Passing for Dummies...

Today I rode Kupkake. It was soooo much fun. We started out with some shoulder in, where I had to try it at the walk first so that I could get my inside leg far enough forward. Then I was able to do it at the trot. After that we worked on leg yielding, then added some travers and renvers. It was amazing how easy travers and renvers, he was so responsive to my leg.

After that we tried half passing and I started out with his haunches way too far over to the left, it was just hard for me to get it through my head that his nose needed to point toward the goal and then bend from there. But we got it eventually and were soon half passing from the centerline to 3/4 down the side. After that we tried it at the canter and that didn't go as well, but Kim said he isn't confirmed in canter half pass yet, but it was still fun to try.

The last thing we worked on was extended trot. We tried five or six times and one time was really good while the others were just so so (I think one was pretty good, lol). It was a lot of fun though. I found that it's much easier for me to half halt when tracking left, probably because I'm right handed. I also noticed that I was a lot more tired today, but I think that's due to the 8 miles I did yesterday.

So, that was my lesson. I have another on Kupkake Friday morning. Hopefully we'll be able to pick up close to where we left off (ie, that it won't take me so long to get my inside leg far enough forward to give him something to bend around). Today I didn't ride Sophie, we just worked on showmanship for a little while and I gave her a good brushing/fly spraying after my lesson.

No comments: