Monday, April 28, 2008

Home Sweet Home...

Sophie is finally home! It's been weird, "having" a new horse, but only having seen her 5 times. Craig and I were running way behind schedule when we finally arrived at Linda's to pick up Sophie, so understandably, she had had to leave. Sophie was waiting in her stall though, and a little anxious about being alone since all of the other horses were in the fields. We got the trailer opened up and ready for Sophie and I gave Sophie a few treats while snapping the leadrope on her halter. I took her out to the trailer, hoping that it wouldn't take too long to get her loaded since I didn't know her style. I walked her up to the trailer and she lowered her head, sniffed the ramp, and then she walked right up and into the trailer. Craig got the back closed up while I snapped Sophie in and off we went. She travelled well and we arrived back at the farm around 5 pm.

I unloaded Sophie and other than whinnying once on the trailer she was an angel (not that whinnying once was a bad thing). She was a little unsteady backing off the trailer, but walked around calmly and showed little interest in meeting the geldings in the first paddock (including Jake).


The boys, waiting to meet Sophie (Jake is the one w/o a halter).

Jake and Sophie meeting.






Stretching her legs...














Two times she busted out this spectacular extended trot. Most of the time she was very springy, but not more so than Jessie.


It was after she did it again, I realized that she is indeed a terrific mover with a lot of potential for dressage. It was the first time I saw her trot like that, and it just about took my breath away.








The boys, checking her out.


Fuzzy, but I call it her ode to the Black Stallion.








Still enthralled...



And a quiet moment with her, giving her treats to help her recognize that I am someone to look forward to seeing. It was really sweet, she would follow me around after I gave her some treats.