Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Settling In...

Sophie is settling in great. She hates being alone in the barn though, so I'm trying SmartCalm on her to see how she does on it. I spent quite a bit of time currying her today and got a lot of winter hair off. I also discovered that she has dandruff all over her body, so I got some Listerine to mix with water to try to take care of that, and will also be starting her on Omega Horseshine to see if that helps with her coat at all.

After the brushing we worked on showmanship for a little while, she's super smart and was really picking up pivoting fast. I also led her to and from the barn to make sure that she minded her manners and didn't bump me while busy looking at something else.

Finally, I tried my saddle and her new bridle on her. I'm really not sure about the saddle, her back is shaped so oddly I don't know if *I* would be able to tell the saddle fits. Her new cob sized bridle from Bobby's fits great. The cavesson almost isn't big enough, but it fits fairly loosely on the last hole, so we'll go with it. The cheek pieces fit great and I'll have to double check the browband again, since I was too shocked by the bit to notice it. I tried Jessie's snaffle on her and it was way too small!

That's right, it was way too small. She has a much smaller head than Jessie, but her mouth is wider. I was so shocked. I'm going to stop by the feed store on my way to the barn tomorrow and see if I can get her a larger snaffle. I still can't believe how wide her mouth was! Maybe I'll ride tomorrow...maybe not. We'll see, lol.

No comments: