Tuesday, July 22, 2008

The Pain, The Pain...

So I had LASIK today. It was Intralase LASIK, where everything is done with a laser. Everything went pretty well. I don't think my eyes were numbed enough for the suction (where they put a ring around my eye and then suction it up into a ring to cut the flap in the cornea), it hurt a LOT. Oh my god, it hurt. I told the doctor that it was hurting and he reassured me that it was normal to feel some pressure. But it wasn't just pressure, it was pain, I know what pain feels like, lol. So they tried to go easier on suctioning the left eye, and it hurt a lot less, that's for sure. Once the lasering was done, they looked at my eyes and one of the flaps was not centered, so they readjusted it and taped shields over my eyes and sent me home.

It was hard to see and my eyes were tired, very tired, and scratchy. I took a nap as soon as I got home, and slept for six hours, waking up every two hours to apply drops to my eyes, as directed. Progressively my eyesight became better but the pain in my right eye grew. It became almost unbearable, feeling like I had put a torn contact lens in my eye. After my vision cleared enough for me to be able to open my eyes in light I checked that eye out in the mirror, thinking I may have something stuck in it. I was shocked by what I saw. My eyes have thick, dark red rings around the iris of my eye. On my right eye, there's a splotch of red up under my eyelid that is about a quarter of an inch thick and half an inch long. I think that's the cause of the pain.

Other than that, I see great. I can read the Tivo menu, I can read everything on my computer screen with ease, it's amazing. There's some ghosting (basically a white glow around windows/white lettering on the tv/the edges of my computer screen/etc), but everything else is clear, it really is amazing. If it weren't for the pain I'd be doing cartwheels! Anyway, that' just an update. I have a follow up appointment tomorrow, hopefully it goes well. I've found that if I keep putting refreshing drops in my eyes every five or so minutes, my right eye feels better. There's little dryness otherwise, which I am surprised by, but definitely not minding.

2 comments:

20 meter circle of life said...

You are so brave, I dont think I could do it. I am a freak about getting anything in my eyes. Just a Hint and most likely part of my Phobia, dont ever and I mean EVER get Thrush Buster in your eye. It hurts hurts hurts and then you get scar tissue and it hurts

Dressage Nomad said...

Oh my gosh! Thrushbuster in the eye???? That sounds crazy painful. I'll keep not getting it in my eye in mind!