Thursday, July 24, 2008

The Weirdest Bug Ever!

This was the scariest looking bug I've ever seen. Yes, it is big (a little bigger than the average wasp) and red and black and FUZZY! I was leaning over a railing, taking pictures of dressage at Champagne Run Horse Trials at Kentucky Horse Park on Saturday, July 19th, and saw this bug running along the very railing I was leaning against. I had strapped my new camera bag onto the railing as well, and was really hoping it wouldn't jump in the bag, since I had backed far, far away from the fence. After the bug dropped to the ground I took some pictures.




I looked it up and it is what's known as a Red Velvet Ant or a Cow Killer, because its sting is rumored to be painful enough to kill a cow. This one is a female, as females are wingless and the ones that sting. Fortunately she is the only one of them that I have ever seen.
My eyes are doing pretty good today. Not as dry as yesterday and my right eye isn't nearly as painful. I'm really hoping that it's better by tomorrow so that they are ok with removing the bandage contact. I slept in today and couldn't open my eyes when I woke up. All of the drops dry into this rubbery material that coats my eyelashes, and during the night it dried my eyelashes together. But it didn't take much to get them open, so all was well. Kitty loved the sleeping in as well. She thinks all day should be spent in bed. She is loving me being laid up with bad eyes. She sleeps with me when I nap, follows me to the bathroom when it's time to do drops, and sits with me when I'm on the couch.

5 comments:

Callie said...

Oh Geezus! I've never seen anything like that! IT LOOKS LIKE IT WOULD PACK A PAINFUL STING!

Denise- LessIsMore17 said...

Greeeeeeeeeat. I just had to click on your blog and see this post before bed :-o how big was that thiing? ick...*shudders*

Melanie said...

That is one nasty looking bug!!! I hate anything that looks like it could be related to bees, because I am allergic to them....ick!

Glad to hear that your eyes are better. Maybe you can hit the barn this weekend and break-in that new saddle of yours ;)

Jen Travers said...

It's good that you didn't see this ant AFTER your surgery. Otherwise you might have thought something definitely went wrong with your ability to see normal colors!

Netherfieldmom said...

I saw one of those at KY Horse Park! It was crawling through the grass and I thought I had lost my mind--we tried to take a picture of it, but it didn't turn out very good--so glad to know what it is--and hope I NEVER see one again!