Monday, July 7, 2008

The Players...

I realize that a few people are reading my blog now, and that the names I mention may be confusing. So I thought I'd do a little glossary of the people I interact with at the barn, that way you aren't wondering things like, who's this Bill guy and why is he administering an electrolyte drench to Sophie when she's colicking? Shouldn't they be calling a vet???

I've been boarding at my barn since August of last year. I moved Jessie, my QH/TB gelding there at the end of the month, and started taking lessons in September, after my wedding. I took lessons from September thru mid-December, moving from weak Training Level to mastering sitting trot, leg yielding, shoulder in, collected canter, counter canter, and beginning work on travers. Kim thought we'd be ready to show Second Level by the end of this summer, if not earlier. Unfortunately, Jessie was injured over the winter and I decided that rather than put him back in dressage training I would get a new horse, Sophie. I've had Sophie here at the farm since May, but other than one lesson haven't really ridden her due to not having a saddle. But, it's on order and should be here soon. Now, on to the people...

Kim-my riding instructor/barn owner, she has a few horses, including a Grand Prix schoolmaster that used to belong to Sue Jaccoma and an Arab/Percheron that she's trained to Third Level (and isn't done yet!). She rides with George Williams and Tara Stegen.

Hayley-Kim's daughter, she does dressage as well, and has a Third Level horse of her own. She also barrel races. Both she and Kim take a few horses down to Florida each winter to take lessons and show.


Bill-Kim's husband, he's a vet and plays polo. He has a vet practice out of the farm here in Ohio and also in Florida.

Sid-the stable/vet clinic manager. He takes care of the horses during the winter or when Kim/Hayley are away at shows.

Liz-she was the other vet working out of the clinic. She is the one that did Jessie's hocks/stifles and the vet care for my horses. However, when everyone went to Florida for the winter she decided to stay down there and continue working.

I think that about covers it. Maybe if I ever get out to the barn when the horses are turned out I'll take pictures of them all and do something similar for the horses of the barn.

2 comments:

Kristie said...

Thanks for the glossary!! Your trainer sounds great. I am not only quitting at my barn, but thinking of switching trainers. I have a friend who's trainer is a USDF bronze, silver, and gold medalist and shows EVERY weekend and brings students along with her. She goes to Germany to take lessons from Klaus Balkenhol and takes lessons from him in the US when he is here. She's pricier then my current trainer and quite a bit younger, but she's a better dressage rider and her students do really well. Taylor is actually her student and she got scores in the mid to upper 70s with a horse that's lower quality than mine. (His attitude is alot better though, he just trucks through the tests without batting an eye) She's 45 minutes away too. But the big advantage?? She has several FEI level lesson horses and that's what I REALLY need... If I can gain more feel for those movements it will be that much easier for Grady. I hope to take lessons both on her horses and on Grady. She's located right next to my jumping barn so I'd probably board him there since it's $250 cheaper.

I used to ride a 3rd level horse and was doing so well. Now I'm so rusty, I NEED lessons on an upper level horse!!

I know this is a long comment but I'm really pumped. ;)

20 meter circle of life said...

Thanks for the intro to everyone!!
In response to your prevoius post from one tack aholic to another.
I wipe down bridle with a damp cloth and scrub bit with tooth brush, I then use Tattersal (sp?) soap on a barely damp sea sponge, once a week I compeletly take bridel appart and use Passier Lederbalm after cleaning.I wipe down saddle the same way and once per week treat it with Neetsfoot oil. I spray and wipe down my girth after everyride with tea tree, for pads ans such I use dreft. Ok I am a freak, but I hate cruddy icky tack. I have tried most of the product and seem to think plain old saddle soap really works the best. I also use the tea tree for bell boots etc.

It sounds like you have a good trainer and a good barn.