Monday, July 7, 2008

Speaking of Tack...

How do you clean your tack? How often do you clean your tack?

I'm really torn on the tack front. I get a lot of pleasure out of cleaning my tack after every ride. It's relaxing, and makes me feel good to take care of my investment. And I like pulling out clean tack the next day. Plus, while I've never been in one, I've read enough Saddle Club to know that there are stables that require riders to clean their tack after every ride, right?

But I'm wavering on *how* to clean my tack. I started out using Leather New, a couple of sprays on a soft rag and a quick wipe down of my tack left it looking great. But then I read the back of the bottle, and it says you need to rinse the tack with a wet cloth after using Leather New. So I decided to switch to Leather Therapy Wash, because it says you don't have to rinse it off. Except I don't like the smell of it or how my tack looked after using it. So I decided to ask on UDBB and also read some old threads about it. It turns out most people recommend using *water*! A quick wipe down of your tack with a damp rag. My brain nearly imploded. Can I really just use water? So I've still been using the Leather Therapy to finish it up and plan on asking the Albion fitter when I get my new saddle what they say is the best procedure for caring for leather.

I've been thinking I may switch back to Leather New and fill the empty Leather Therapy with water and then try to rinse the leather off with and damp rag. But I don't want to buy anything until after I know what Albion recommends, that way I don't waste any money.

No comments: