Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Best Lesson Evah!

I went against my gut (which was reacting to the fact that it was 28 degrees, 18 with the wind chill) and ventured out for a lesson today. They were still bringing the horses in to eat so I checked the weather (30 degrees in the barn) and brought in my gear. Sophie was mildly happy to see me, once she was done with her grain. I got her ready, braided up her mane (4 minutes from walking to my cubby, getting my rubberband, braiding her mane, and leaving her stall for her boots!) We started warming up and I decided to try something different. Instead of just walking around for a bit, aimlessly, we leg yielded the long sides. First, just from the quarterline to the wall, and then, because she was leg yielding so well and her walk was so active, we would leg yield to the wall, away from the wall, and then back.

This went really well, and she started to come on the bit on her own. Then we trotted some circles and leg yielded in each direction to warm up. The trot leg yields were so much better after doing that warm up than they were in the middle of a lesson previously. We'd warmed up for about 20 minutes when Kim came out and the lesson started. I had Sophie a little too forward, so we did some half halts to bring her trot back a bit. We did some regular circles and worked on developing the trot after "A" while going straight ahead, and then developing the trot from the canter after a 20 meter circle while on the straightaway.

After that we made up a couple of Training Level tests and rode them. I know that they're similar to "real" tests in the movements. They went really well, a lot better than expected. Our transitions still need some work, especially the trot-canter. Our first canter-trot transition was *amazing*, completely seamless. The one in the other direction, not quite so much. The second "test" we rode was much better, though both were decent. My turn down centerline was horrible the first time, so we practiced it again before the second test and tried it with me looking at the judge's stand as I was making the turn that would lead to the turn down centerline.

While taking a walk break after the two practice tests we discussed where Sophie and I are. Other than our transitions we're solidly Training Level. Sitting trot for me isn't a problem, though I haven't done it much on Sophie because posting is easier on her back. Leg yielding is going really well. Lengthenings are ok, we've just started working on them. Counter canter isn't even a thought at this stage though. Maybe in a few more weeks we'll be ready.

On another note, we did start schooling Shoulder In today! It went sooooo well. We decided to try at the walk because she was doing so well with maintaining contact and staying forward while connected in the walk. We went to the left first, and she did incredible. We just walked and I maintained my position, with my leg forward, asking for a little bend with the inside rein but mainly using my leg and then pulling her over with the outside rein. Worked like a charm, she did great, stayed on the bit, though I could hear her working the bit with her mouth as we did it. We did it a few times to the left, and then tried it to the right, where she was even better. I was doing a better job of not sitting too far to the inside, so that may have helped. I was also able to give releases with the right rein much more often, almost like clockwork.

We decided to call it quits there because she was so good. And Kim isn't leaving until the 10th now, so we should get a couple more lessons in before she goes.

3 comments:

Karen said...

Good for you! sounds like your lesson went well. And kudos to starting shoulder-in, this movement will unlock so many great moments for you. :-)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on a great lesson! I'm so impressed with all of your progress- great work! It must have been so rewarding to do those first shoulder-ins.

Anonymous said...

I just just just started shoulder-in too! I have ridden lower level horses for a long time, and recently rescued an FEI mare (with the help of my trainer) from a bad situation. It's opening up new worlds for me, AND showing me how many bad habits I have, and how much I have to work on!! Keep going, you're an inspiration for me!

Meghan
http://megfuzzle.livejournal.com