Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Saying it Out Loud...

I'm not pulling Sophie's mane.

Ever.

There, I said it. When I bought her it had been hacked off and looked awful. I was letting it grow, because I wanted some pictures of her with it long. But you know what, I *like* it long! I braid it for every ride and it takes less than 5 minutes. The braid stays in and looks great from beginning to end of my lesson. Then it's wavy and lovely after I undo it.

I do use a lot of detangling spray on it (and her tail), but she really likes having it brushed (as long as I do it gently if it's knotted). The most relaxed I've seen her is when I stand next to her, brushing her mane. I'm going to make up a mixture recommended on UDBB to see how well it works, since I hate just using silicone based products on her hair.

1/3 water
1/3 showsheen or other silicone based detangler
1/3 mane & tail conditioner

I've also been doing something different with her tail, knotting it near the tail bone to keep the longer hairs from dragging in the mud. I tried it during my last ride and all of the knots stayed in great and weren't tangled when I undid them last night (as week later). It didn't look like there was much in the way of breakage, but we'll see how it looks on Thursday.

I've been debating braiding it and looping it up on itself, but I'm worried about moisture staying in the tail and it rotting off. I also don't know what to do in the summer, because right now, flies are not an issue, so she's not using her tail much. I may braid it up then, if it's not as muddy.

2 comments:

Melanie said...

You definitely have to be careful about the moisture thing and her tail (hair) falling out.

I remember back in my show days when girls would braid and bag their horses tails, and then leave them that that way for too long. They were not happy with the results...lol!!!

Glad that you had another awesome lesson!

Denise- LessIsMore17 said...

Steph, I just saw your post on the UDBB, I'm so sorry for you and your hubby:-(

HUGS