Saturday, December 6, 2008

Can't Sleep...

I can't sleep. After being absolutely exhausted at 11 and going straight to bed, I just can't sleep. I'm not sure why. I've drank 2 bottles of water and I'm still thirsty. It might be the champagne. Not that I'm celebrating, but I like the taste of cheap, sweet champagne. On the way home from my lesson I started bawling. I sat in the truck for a few minutes, crying, and when it had mostly subsided I decided to go inside. My poor husband freaked out when he saw me, I guess I did look pretty bad when I saw myself. He thought something was wrong with Sophie. I was just sad, and frustrated, that I let it interfere with my lesson.

He hugged me and I cried on his shoulder for a few minutes until the tears subsided. Then I took a bubble bath while reading The Complete Training of the Horse and Rider and drinking raspberry champagne.

I always wondered how people know so much history of dressage, and who to like, or who to dislike as far as the old masters, but Podhjasky spells it out for you in the first 15 pages of the book, so that explains that. Reading this book has made me realize that I need to use my voice more often in rewarding Sophie. He talks about influencing the horse's senses, and the one he says is the strongest is the sense of hearing. So far I really like this book, it's very readable, and the descriptions are clear. I'm very glad that my sister got me this book for Christmas this year. I just wish I'd read it sooner.

One good thing about all of these lessons in a row is that it's giving me lots to work on over the winter, while I'm on my own. Kim said that as I practice going large around the arena at the canter, not just on my circle, that I can then begin schooling counter canter. So right now I have the following to work on:

Transitions (these are getting much better, trot-canter need more work)
Lengthenings (these too, are really coming, especially once we've cantered)
Leg Yielding (she's doing *great* at leg yielding, but needs to be hotter off my leg)
Shoulder In (great at the walk, gets it a bit at the trot)
Renvers (pretty good at the walk, haven't tried trotting)
Travers (great at the walk, haven't tried it at the trot)
Counter Canter (this'll be fun)
Turn on the Haunches (very, very baby right now, more like a 1/8th turn right now)
The canter itself (joy)

I'll probably work mostly on shoulder in for now, because when I do travers her butt gets all wiggly. She's *very* good at moving her butt from side to side and loves to offer to do so to demonstrate just how good she is at it. I feel very prepared for the winter at least. I can get her warmed up nicely and going well, and those exercises are, for the most part, confirmed enough that I can get them on my own, now they just need practice, and I need to fine tune my aids so that I'm not leaning or using my leg too far back, etc, etc.

(I don't know why Blogger says it's 12:14, my clock says 3:35.)

3 comments:

allhorsestuff said...

Hello there,
Oh! Sorry about the lack of sleeping!
Found you from another's Blogroll.I have been trying to read a small bits at a time to catch up on your blogs(just went to Jesterjiggle).

I realy love your devotion to the correct Dressage form. You have a passion and it is apparent.
I can tell, because you are so descritptive in teling us the Mechanics of your riding day by day,(I LOVE THAT)I will be learning here about what I am not getting in lessons right now. I need repittion, so even if I am not there yet at lessons it will help to read about it here first! Please know that I appreciate your descrtiptions of weight distribution and all that goes into Dressage aides.
I am soaking it all up!!!

Be back soon.

PS
I thought of the alcohol maybe making you wake..that does happen as it matabalises into suger later.
And I always wake up, like that..right before my womanlys!
(I also have S.A.D.-much larger story)

Melanie said...

Again...I am so sorry.
I am glad that you have Sophie to help take your mind off of things, but just be sure that you take the proper time to grieve.

Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear what happened.
Horses help so much in these times. It sounds like you are making huge progress with Sophie - starting the 2nd level work is such an exciting step! By the time spring rolls around you will have a completely different Sophie!
Take care.