Sunday, December 7, 2008

Zoom, Zoom, Zoom...

Well, today Sophie decided that my well thought out warm up was a complete waste of time, and she'd rather get straight to work. So after we walked around the arena for 3 minutes she did a big spook away from the wall on the end of the arena she liked even when she was "bad". Aaaaargh! She also decided that the other big door couldn't be trusted, so she had to keep an eye on it as well. I was not in the mood, so we went straight to work and if she even *thought* about slowing down when approaching one of the doors I smacked her with the whip to keep her forward. I only had to do that twice and she was moving off my leg well and accepting my half halts. By the time Kim came out, she was going beautifully.

I discovered that sitting trot adds an extra bit of power to Sophie's trot, and really gets her through and working over her back. So we started out with some extensions across the short diagonal, and there was much improvement. Kim gave me a new exercise with them, and that is to go from lengthened trot to walk once you reach the wall again, that way Sophie starts thinking "is she going to make me walk?" and really sits down when I do half halt just to bring her back to a more collected trot from the lengthening.

After the extensions we worked on cantering, counter canter, to be more exact. Her canter was *amazing* tonight. Much better than last lesson. We started off by cantering a 20 meter circle in the middle of the ring. Then I would ask her to trot, we would trot along the wall and begin another 20 meter circle at the end of the ring. Once we had a good canter established I would turn down the quarterline and try to leg yield over to the wall a few strides (pretty much until she broke). We only got 2 or 3 strides when we got any, but Kim seemed really pleased. It was a great improvement because we were cantering down the long side, and last lesson Sophie wasn't able to canter hardly at all down the long side. Kim had also set up three cones to give us a distance to stay away from the wall, kind of like a barrier to leg yield around.

After the cantering we worked on leg yielding away from the wall, to the quarterline, and then back. We had a discussion about my reins, because I always think they're too short and she always thinks they're too long. So I tried shortening my reins a little more, and it was like someone turned on the 4 wheel drive. There was so much power under/behind me. Sophie was up and open and actually started to get some suspension. Kim was very impressed and had us try some lengthenings with this newfound energy and it was incredible. I could feel her launching upwards as we began the legnthenings. We've decided that Sophie (and I) are ready for more sitting trot than rising trot, provided we're both properly warmed up. It's amazing the difference it makes in the quality of her trot. And my half halts are so much more effective with my butt already in the saddle, as are our transitions.

We then worked on shoulder in, initially at the trot, which didn't go well at all. So I went back to the walk and Kim told me to make sure I keep my inside shoulder *up*, and back, like I was turning to look at someone in a tree behind me. It worked like magic. As soon as I got my shoulder back and up I could actually *feel* Sophie snap into position. I was just sitting and she was performing shoulder in, every now and then I would use a little inside leg, but it wasn't a constant squeezing of the inside leg, asking her to bend that way. She was working almost completely off my seat. It was like magic. And it worked in both directions. I was able to more effectively half halt and use the outside rein once I was confident in my position, and Sophie looked like a real dressage horse doing shoulder in. It was incredible. We had 3 really good steps of shoulder in the first time, and then 9 the next, once I put it all together. As I get better at half halting while doing the shoulder in I'm going to start asking her to trot *while* already doing the shoulder in, instead of trying to do it after a corner or a 10 meter circle.

Our final exercise was more canter work. Sophie was no longer light and back to being more barrel pony on crack than she'd been in the beginning of the lesson. I know some of it was probably a little bit of fatigue, so I think that when I'm working on my own I'll do canter work early in the ride. Instead of the end like we had been doing. That may have been why we had so much trouble with the canter at the end of last lesson. At one point, when I asked for a lengthening I used a little too much of just my outside leg, and she picked up a lovely canter, I went ahead and rode it, and she kept it around the tight turn when we returned back to the wall and all the way up to the other end until I asked her to come back.

Today and the previous lesson were full length lessons, with lots of warm up to boot, but Sophie overall did very well. Both of us are gaining strength and stamina, I don't actually require breaks during the lessons anymore. And Sophie mainly gets them as a reward for doing especially well. We're at the point now where I'll sometimes just give her a few inches of rein and let her stretch her neck. Kim said that she thinks her neck is really coming along, and is much thicker now than it was (in a good way, lol). She was also soooo forward at the beginning from being worked out of spooking that Kim didn't have to tell me once not to let her get any lower. Sophie was just trucking along just like a real dressage horse. So, though it started badly, it was an overall very good lesson. I needed that, because I'm beginning to feel crampy, and have a feeling that I'm going to be starting to miscarry before the surgery on Thursday.

My last lesson of the year (and for the next four months) is tomorrow night, provided I feel well enough. I feel like we're in a really good place though, with *tons* to work on and continue improving while we're without instruction.

Oh, and I am officially crazy. I looked at the weather report and said, wow, it's warm today...because it was 23 degrees, and felt like 23 degrees.

5 comments:

Melanie said...

When I grow up, I want to be a Dressage rider just like you...lol!!! Ok, so I used to do Dressage regularly, but now I just don't have the time.

It is always fun to watch your and Sophie's progress. You two make a really good team. :)

I am really surprised that they are waiting so long for your surgery. (That is the nurse coming out in me!)
Is it because you are going through a VA hospital?? Is that also why they made you wait until 12 weeks to be seen for your first OB appointment? (Sorry...I worked for an OB/GYN for over ten years)

On a more positive note...I LOVE your new header and look!

Anonymous said...

Wow, I love your new layout! And sounds like the lesson went great - it seems like you do more each time.
I've put some pics up, so now I request to see some pics of you and Sophie!! :-)

Heidi said...

I'm really sorry for you and Craig! I hope you start to feel better soon!

It's so awesome that you are making such progress with Sophie. I'm glad you have something positive to focus on right now. Dressage can make you feel so wonderful when everything comes together!!!

Dressage Nomad said...

I'm not sure why the surgery is so long. My appointment was last Thursday morning and she said that I could probably have it Monday, Tuesday, or Wednesday. We asked for Thursday because I didn't know when I'd be able to have lessons this week, and the last day of classes for the quarter is Wednesday...which doesn't matter for me, but Craig has an important class that is going right up until the finish.

I don't think the Air Force likes to waste resources on pregnant women that miscarry. I wasn't "allowed" to go in for my Air Force pregnancy test until my period was 2 weeks late, even though I had a positive pregnancy test 1 day after my period was late (just 10 days after I ovulated). They don't schedule women for thier first doctor appointment until they are 10+ weeks along. So that's why I didn't have my appointment until 11 weeks.

We did call later on Thursday to get the surgery for sooner, but we had to leave a message and no one called us back, so I don't know if they listened to it or not. They didn't call with the surgery date until Friday morning, and then the lady told me to "have a good day" after giving me the information. I *really* don't understand why it took a full day to figure out a date for my surgery. Is it normal for the D&C to be scheduled earlier than even Monday/Tuesday would be in comparison to the Missed Miscarriage being diagnosed?

I had a little blood yesterday, but not much at all, and the little bit of crampiness is gone today, so maybe I'll hold on until Thursday.

Thanks Clara and Heidi! It's amazing how much more we're able to do now that we have a solid connection and Sophie is being so "workable". I think we're also trying to do a little bit of everything so that I know how to ask for stuff and have tried it to be able to work on it over the winter when I'm on my own. We've covered more stuff than I ever dreamed possible though, that's for sure.

Anonymous said...

a fun post, and fun new blog layout!

I have the same issue with my reins. I always think they're long, and when I DO shorten them I have to remind myself to relax my shoulders/forearms even more because I get tense THINKING that I may be yanking Lacey in the mouth. *sigh*.

Always something to work on.
So happy to hear how much you're progressing, gives me hope!
--Meghan
http://megfuzzle.livejournal.com