Wednesday, December 10, 2008

It's Starting...

My surgery isn't until tomorrow at 10:45 in the morning, but it's already started. This explains why I was feeling like I had to throw up earlier. So far there's no pain, hopefully it stays that way until tomorrow. The presurgery appointment this morning was awful. They didn't tell me that I had to go to a different office when they told me about the appointment. We spent 3 hours at the hospital and only talked to people for 20 minutes total. There's more, but I won't bore you with the details.

On the way home we got a couple of puppy training books. Last night at 3 a.m. I decided I wanted a medium sized dog. But then the Papillon breeders started emailing me back, and I'm smitten again. I found one near Cleveland that sounds *very* promising. It's a little more than we wanted to spend, but she's so cute, and seems well bred by a caring breeder. I want to have it now, but it's a 4 hour trip and I'm not sure when I'll be up for a long car ride.

I will say that there was a lot of information in the folder they sent around with me at the hospital that no one even mentioned to me. I don't know if they're planning on going over it with me tomorrow, or what, I guess we'll see. They had me call later this afternoon for my surgery appointment (no idea why they couldn't tell me when I was there this morning). They tried to tell me I needed to give them a urine sample prior to my show time tomorrow. I said ok, and hung up, even though I was confused because no one had mentioned a urine sample. So then I called back because I quickly realized *why* they needed a urine sample. I had to call three times, but finally got someone to pick up, and yep, they needed a urine sample for a pregnancy test. My God, I mean seriously. Fortunately I very calmly explained that at this point a pregnancy test was a moot point. The person I spoke to agreed after I told her what my surgery was, and said that I didn't need to do the urine sample. I am *very* frustrated with our hospital. I hope that my next base won't have a full hospital, so I can see a real, off base doctor.

The thought of getting a dog has kept me pretty upbeat and excited though. It's all I can think about. Though there was a brief crying stint during House tonight, Cuddy found the baby that had been picked up by someone else and was telling her that she found it and saved it, but now it was time to let it go. It didn't help that it was a little girl all wrapped in pink.

I've been wondering about when I'll be able to ride, because I don't trust my doctor to give me a true estimate of how long to wait. They're going to be way too conservative and honestly, while Sophie is being good, I don't think she's good enough to handle a month off! The worst part about the surgery tomorrow is it's at 10:45 and I'm not supposed to eat after midnight. Let's just say Stephanie gets *very* grumpy when she's hungry. And Stephanie *always* eats breakfast. Sigh.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

All the best with the surgery tomorrow, my thoughts are with you.
A new puppy... very exciting! Partner and I are also looking at getting one but not quite decided yet. If you do have to take extended time riding Sophie, it'll give you lots of time to do in-hand work and other fun groundwork stuff (like the clicker training you mentioned on UDBB). It definitely won't be a waste of time!