Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Is Now a Bad Time to Get a Dog?

So, we're thinking of getting a dog. I'll admit it, I want a dog to help "make up for" the baby. But Craig and I have talked about getting a dog for years, it's just never seemed like the right time. But, on further reflection, this is probably the best time, since we have the rest of December off and will only be gone for a few hours at a time, instead of a full work day until we move at the end of March. So we'll have time to work with the puppy for a while.

We went to Petland tonight and fell in love with a Papillon that we named Gizmo. It was quite a change of plans, since I was going to go the barn and work on clicker training with Sophie, and Craig was going to go to karate. Then the power went out. So we decided to go out for dinner (Outback), Christmas shopping (Sam's Club), and to see the puppies (Petland).

I slept for 5 hours today. I had a dentist appointment this morning, and it was "fun" explaining how I was pregnant, but ok with getting x-rays taken. Then I found out something interesting. The new x-rays revealed that a couple of spots that could go either way had remineralized. The dentist asked me if I'd change my habits at all, which I hadn't, until he asked if I had stopped drinking soda. And actually, I had. I stopped drinking as much a month or two before getting pregnant and once I got pregnant I only had one soda a week, maybe two (only when out to eat). I hadn't realized how much effect diet soda had on my teeth until now. The worst part of the appointment was the end. I was sitting up in the chair, with the flouride thing in my mouth, with only the sign telling you to talk to your provider if you are, or think you may be pregnant. That got me teary, and then walking out of the dental clinic I saw a little girl with her mom, in the waiting room. So I lost it for the drive home and slept from 11 until 4 this afternoon.

I'll be back in the hospital tomorrow morning, for my presurgery briefing. Then surgery on Thursday. Meanwhile I'm going to continue to puppy shop online. We don't really want to get our puppy from Petland, but instead, a reputable breeder, so I'm looking for breeders with puppies available.

7 comments:

Melanie said...

Oh a puppy would be a wonderful diversion for the both of you!!! Great thinking!!!

Sorry about the whole dental thing. :(

allhorsestuff said...

Man, rough day, so sorry~
Getting a pup is a Lovely and wonderful thing to do..specially since you to have all the time off and were talking that way!
Can't wait to find out what breed!
KK

Heidi said...

Oh please don't get a puppy from Petland. They mostly come from puppy mills, which is horrible. If you want a purebred, Google purebred dog rescues, or you would be surprised what you find at the shelter. We got our Aussie at 5 months old through rescue, at it feels so good knowing we "saved him"!!! But obviously congratulations at deciding to get a dog!!! As much as I love horses, I couldn't live without a dog!

wolfandterriers said...

I would encourage you to look at an older dog. Puppies are fantabulous, love them!, but it might be a better fit if you knew exactly what you were getting. I personally like older dogs as what you see is what you get. On top of that, they are so much easier to care for--none of the wild teething, constant peeing, or puppy-ness!

If you love Papillons, I'm sure there's a good rescue that would looove to hook you up! My Jagd was dumped at a small county shelter. You can find some really awesome animals through rescue and really make a difference that way. :) On top of that, they've been through the wringer and are ready to have a person of their own to love!

Go for a puppy if it would make you happy...but I like my lovebugs ready to go as soon as I get them. AND I found a gorgeous Dutch filly in TX that I have swooning over (big dramatic sigh!) so we may both end up doing the cute option!

wolfandterriers said...

And the dentist? Man, the top of my chart reads "cries"! I start sniffling as soon as I walk in the door. I'm going to blame it on my bad mandibular joints!

Jill Wiswall said...

Wow, rough day! I think a dog is an awesome idea!! After my miscarriage we bought a horse. It really helped having somewhere to channel some of that energy. So good for you guys and good luck on finding the perfect dog for your household!!

Dressage Nomad said...

Don't worry, as tempting as it was, we won't get a puppy from Petland! It would be really nice to just have the puppy now, but I'd rather wait a few days for a puppy from a quality breeder. The one at Petland was from Kansas, I feel bad for it, but, it'll get a good home, hopefully.